Everything you need to know about carpet cleaning as a homeowner.
A carpet is a treasure in every home. This is also an important responsibility. As a homeowner, your job is to make sure you keep it as clean as possible for both aesthetic and functional purposes. In this case, there’s a lot you need to know about carpet cleaning in general. This information will allow you to give your carpet the tender loving care it so desperately needs and deserves. Without further ado, below are the 8 most important things every homeowner should know about carpet cleaning.
8 Things You Should Know
- Not all carpets are the same When it comes to carpet cleaning, it is very important to consider the type of fiber on the carpet. This is because it affects many things. First, it determines the most appropriate cleaning methods to use. Soft fabrics need to be handled gently and therefore should be cleaned in ways that do not involve scrubbing. Hard fabrics like canvas and sisal, on the other hand, can handle all cleaning methods. The type of carpet also determines other things including cleaning chemicals applied, how easy stains are to remove and drying time.
- There Are Many Different Cleaning Techniques Another thing you need to understand as a homeowner is that there are many different cleaning methods out there. Some use water and some don’t. Some use heat and steam while others do not. Understanding the methods, where they are best applied and their individual advantages and disadvantages is crucial. This is despite the fact that the carpet cleaning staff will handle most of the heavy lifting. It doesn’t hurt to know a little about the methods they plan to use so you know what to expect.
- Dirty carpets are bad for your health Dirty carpets look bad and they don’t smell good. However, this is not the worst thing about them. An unclean carpet can easily become a reservoir for pathogens inside your home. It can block particles, including dander and pollen, that trigger allergic reactions. It can also harbor insects and parasites including dust mites and bed bugs that are sure to scare away you and your guests and make your living spaces uninhabitable. With these and many other pathogens to worry about, you can’t afford to compromise on professional carpet cleaning.
- Running your vacuum every day isn’t enough to get rid of all the dirt It’s a common misconception among homeowners that vacuuming on a regular basis is a viable alternative to professional carpet cleaning. This could not possibly be further from the truth. Vacuuming undoubtedly helps keep the carpet clean after it has been professionally handled. However, it is not enough to get rid of all pollutants. This is especially the case with sticky messes, stains and liquid spills. In these cases, your space is essentially useless.
- DIY carpet cleaning is never a good idea We live in a day and age where DIY projects are all the rage. So it’s understandable that as a homeowner you’d be intrigued by the idea of deep cleaning your carpets. However, there are no words to express how bad an idea this could go wrong. You can make the mess worse by using the wrong cleaning supplies. You can ruin your carpet by using the wrong methods.
wrong clothes. Or you could be putting your health at risk by handling a germ-filled carpet without the right gear. With all of this in mind, it’s probably best to let the professionals handle it for you.
- A dirty carpet can ruin your floors and your furniture. This usually happens when carpets suffer from water damage. The fabric retains water which leaves the carpet wet for a long time. This moisture can easily seep into the wood paneling on the floor or wooden furniture stands, causing damage. You’ll start to notice things like rotting and musty odors. So if your carpet gets spilled or flooded, it’s best to get it cleaned up before the situation gets worse.
- Carpet cleaning needs to be done on a regular basis Professional carpet cleaning is not something you do every time your carpet starts to resemble the surface of the desert. This is something you need to get into the habit of doing regularly, whether it looks dirty or not. This is because with most carpets, the dirt is subtle and goes unnoticed for a very long time. However, just because you can’t see stains or fur balls doesn’t mean your carpet is clean. To be safe, schedule professional carpet cleaning sessions as regularly as you can. The most appropriate frequency would be once every 2 or 3 months. Even if the carpet gets a lot of foot traffic, you can clean it once a month.
- Carpets require a lot of air flow and circulation to stay clean. Many of the dirt on the surface of the carpet can be easily removed by improving the air flow in the room. This includes dust, pet dander and pollen grains. This constant supply of fresh air basically blows away the particles on the surface of the carpet making your job a little easier for you. So invest in an air filter and conditioning system and let your carpets benefit. Or just open a window once in a while and let nature take care of your carpet for you.
In short, being informed really is the best way to make sure you take good care of your carpet. The tips and general information provided above should be very helpful especially if you are a first time carpet owner. In short, try to have your carpet professionally cleaned as often as possible. Working with people who know exactly what they are doing means your maintenance job is made much easier. No need to learn about different cleaning methods or individual types of carpet fabric. All you have to do is find the right staff for the job and learn how to care for your carpet before you schedule your next carpet cleaning.
For More Detail Visit :